    SubjectRe: Deadlock with linux kernel
    Hi

    This is interesting. I've never had a lockup with any kernel.
    I wonder if it might be related to the type of uses the machine is put to.

    My machine is a Dual PIII based of the intel GX chipset. It serves as
    Workstation primarily but also does firewalling and acts as a gateway for my
    other PCs. Mostly the load isn't too heavy but I do crank it up a lot when I
    compile KDE and have several parts building at the same time.

    John

    Mika Liljeberg wrote:

    > Jeff Golds wrote:
    > > No, it only hung just after boot one time. However, I was doing a
    > > kernel build when it hung (I was trying to make a new kernel to try out
    > > as I had just rebooted).
    > >
    > > Most times, the machine will stay up for a day or two then lock during a
    > > kernel build.
    >
    > Hi Jeff,
    >
    > I have the exact same symptoms on my PII SMP, 440BX chipset machine, and
    > I believe it started around version 2.4.6 as you say. Prior to that, my
    > machine would reboot randomly without warning. The latest kernel that
    > neither reboots nor locks up is 2.4.0-test9. Sometimes it takes two
    > hours, sometimes it takes two days, sometimes it takes longer.
    >
    > The machine just freezes solid, nothing appears on the console, sysrq
    > won't work, leds won't blink, and I suspect the CPUs are spinning (I can
    > hear the CPU fans pick up speed, when it happens). The lockups don't
    > seem to have any relation to what the machine is doing at the time. An
    > idle machine seems to lock up just as readily as a busy one.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > MikaL
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:11    [W:0.033 / U:0.720 seconds]