    SubjectRe: issue: deleting one IP alias deletes all
    "Matthew G. Marsh" wrote:

    > The original thought refers to the old concept of address "class" where is
    > a "class" (think subnet) went away then there was no need (and indeed
    > incorrect) behaviour to still be able to have addresses on it. Thus when
    > the primary address is deleted you should clear all addresses within that

    I don't really think the original thought matters. What matters is that
    the behavior is
    a) non-obvious - you don't expect it
    b) undetectable - you can't find out which alias is "primary"
    c) inconsistent - some aliases act differently that other aliases

    All of these violate the principle of least surprise. Whether it was
    intentional or not, it behaves like a nasty hack, or worse, a bug. It is
    easily fixed, and should be.

    > Again - if you do not like this behaviour do not use the primary/secondary
    > addressing scopes. Use /32.

    Why should user-land be forced to work around what is obviously (to the
    vast majority of people in this discussion) a mis-feature?

    Tim Hockin
    Systems Software Engineer
    Sun Microsystems, Cobalt Server Appliances

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:10    [W:0.022 / U:3.740 seconds]