    SubjectRe: time tells all about kernel VM's
    Date
    On Wednesday 24 October 2001 14:05, Luigi Genoni wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, safemode wrote:
    > > ok. Reran e2defrag and got the same effect.
    > > This is the vmstat output by the second. It starts out with my normal
    > > load (but no mp3s playing). Then i start e2defrag with the same
    > > arguments as before and allow it to run all the way through. It ends but
    > > i dont close it until near the very end (which is seen by the swap
    > > dropoff. Then i let my normal load again be displayed a bit. One thing
    > > i did notice, however, was that the vm handled that quite a lot better
    > > than how it handled it after being up for 5 days even though it created
    > > the 600MB of buffer.
    >
    > If I do remember well e2defrag was working just with ext2 with 1k as block
    > size, and latest version compiled with 2.0.12 kernel, (I made also a patch
    > to compile with 2.0.X kernels after), then ext2 simply evolved and
    > e2defrag did not. (by the way e2defrag sources are really isstructive to
    > learn how a blockFS works).

    e2defrag defaults to 4k blocks. Version 0.73pjm1 30 Apr 2001

    > I used e2defrag since earlier versions, (just with old slow disk, now it
    > is almost useless, and I went to journaled FSes). If I do remember well,
    > the behavoiur you are telling was usual with 2.0 kernels.
    > If the pool is to big, i saw that e2dump shows a lot of inode that left
    > their group (sic!), and also there could be some FS corruption.
    > e2defrag was writter to use buffer cache, and now VM changed in details
    > this behaviour. It could be that what you see is due to those changes?

    you say it is the same behavior as 2.0 yet you say that i could be seeing
    this problem due to _changes_ in the vm. So the comparison to 2.0 doesn't
    really tell us anything since it has nothing to do with what 2.0 was doing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:10    [W:0.026 / U:59.464 seconds]