    SubjectRe: [RFC] New Driver Model for 2.5
    On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 09:19:45AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > Assuming you want to synchronize the raid before suspend - a reasonably
    > > policy but not essential then you'd have to shut down the raid before
    > > sd, then sd would let the devices shut down which lets the controller
    > > shutdown

    > I will _refuse_ to have a kernel suspend that synchronizes the raid etc.
    > That would make suspend/resume potentially take a _loong_ time.

    If you have Magic SysRq enabled, would that do the job prior
    to suspend? Typically with Pavel's swsusp package, I hit the Alt-SysRq-s
    before hitting Alt-SysRq-d to suspend him. Does Alt-SysRq-s synchronize
    a raid? Of course, at that point, the choice to take the "_loong_ time"
    is in user space - meat space, user space - since I chose to hit that
    key combination.

    > If you want to synchronize your raid thing, make the user-level thing that
    > triggers the suspend do it. Same goes for things like "sync network
    > filesystems" etc. This is not a kernel level issue, and the kernel
    > shouldn't even try to do it.

    What does the Alt-SysRq-s combination do about networks then?

    > If somebody has pending stuff over NFS and suspends, and when it comes
    > back it's not on the network any more, that is 100% equivalent to removing
    > a PCMCIA network card while running. It's supposed to work - but if you
    > lose data that's YOUR problem, not the kernels.

    > Linus

    Mike
    --
    Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com