    SubjectRe: 2.4.13-pre6 breaks Nvidia's kernel module wrote:

    > Hello,
    > yes I know, you don't like modules without full sources available.
    > But Nvidia is the leading vendor of video cards and all 2.4.x
    > kernels up to 2.4.13-pre5 work nice with this module.
    > Running pre6 I get
    > (==) NVIDIA(0): Write-combining range (0xf0000000,0x2000000)
    > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate LUT context DMA
    > (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    > This is Nvidia's 1.0-1541 version of its Linux drivers

    I use the same version of the driver with my Geforce3 and I am also
    running 2.4.13-pre6 and it works just fine so I don't agree with you
    that it breaks...
    You do know that there are a few files that need to be recompiled every
    time you build a new kernel - right?

    See "" for details.

    Here's a quote from that file explaining what I do myself - that should
    work for you:

    INSTALLING/UPGRADING BY TAR FILE Instructions for the Impatient:

    $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz
    $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz
    $ cd NVIDIA_kernel
    $ make install
    $ cd ../NVIDIA_GLX
    $ make install

    To install from tar file, unpack each file:
    $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz
    $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz

    cd into the NVIDIA_kernel directory. Type 'make install'. This will
    compile the kernel interface to the NVdriver, link the NVdriver, copy
    the NVdriver into place, and attempt to insert the NVdriver into the
    running kernel:

    $ cd NVIDIA_kernel
    $ make install

    Next, move into the NVIDIA_GLX directory. Type 'make install' -- this
    will copy the needed OpenGL and XFree86 files into place:
    $ cd ../NVIDIA_GLX
    $ make install

    Note that the "make install" for each package will remove any previously
    installed NVIDIA drivers.

    Best regards,
    Jesper Juhl

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:10    [W:0.029 / U:35.440 seconds]