    SubjectRe: [Q] pivot_root and initrd
    In article <>,
    Rik van Riel <> wrote:
    | On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, bill davidsen wrote:
    | > In article <9r4c24$g2k$>,
    | > H. Peter Anvin <> wrote:
    | >
    | > | The right thing is to get rid of the old initrd compatibility cruft,
    | > | but that's a 2.5 change.
    | >
    | > Get rid of??? As long as you have some equivalent capability to get
    | > the system up.
    | pivot_root(2) in combination with pivot_root(8)

    I wasn't really asking about changing root after the system is up, the
    part needed is the uncompressing of the filesystem into a ramdisk root f/s
    or some such. After that it's pretty much open to any of several techniques.

    Getting the modules loaded to support the root f/s and run a little rc
    file to get things going is the bootstrap operation, and that's where
    initrd is vital. You really don't want to build a kernel for every
    machine if you have more than a few! One kernel and a few config and
    initrd files is vastly easier.

    What replaces the initial step?

    bill davidsen <>
    His first management concern is not solving the problem, but covering
    his ass. If he lived in the middle ages he'd wear his codpiece backward.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:10    [W:0.023 / U:5.948 seconds]