    SubjectRe: [Q] pivot_root and initrd
    In article <Pine.LNX.4.33L.0110231759020.3690-100000@imladris.surriel.com>,
    Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:
    | On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, bill davidsen wrote:
    | > In article <9r4c24$g2k$1@cesium.transmeta.com>,
    | > H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
    | >
    | > | The right thing is to get rid of the old initrd compatibility cruft,
    | > | but that's a 2.5 change.
    | >
    | > Get rid of??? As long as you have some equivalent capability to get
    | > the system up.
    |
    | pivot_root(2) in combination with pivot_root(8)

    I wasn't really asking about changing root after the system is up, the
    part needed is the uncompressing of the filesystem into a ramdisk root f/s
    or some such. After that it's pretty much open to any of several techniques.

    Getting the modules loaded to support the root f/s and run a little rc
    file to get things going is the bootstrap operation, and that's where
    initrd is vital. You really don't want to build a kernel for every
    machine if you have more than a few! One kernel and a few config and
    initrd files is vastly easier.

    What replaces the initial step?

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    His first management concern is not solving the problem, but covering