    SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.20pre10
    On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 04:39:02PM -0700, Jonathan Lundell wrote:

    > >> That quote is rather older than the US bombing of Afghanistan. You read
    > >> totally inappropriate things into it.
    > >
    > >Certainly, it is not. This statement applies to Afghanistan, in that
    > >the fact that they have not rebelled means they imply consent to
    > >everything their government does, and therefore are just as guilty as
    > >the Taliban. Therefore, killing civilians (collateral damage) is no
    > >worse than killing terrorists or Taliban officials. This is a stance I
    > >can easily subscribe to, not just with Afghanistan but with any people,
    > >nation, state, or country.
    > That seems like a willful misreading of the original. Where did you
    > get "consent"? Alan suggests that non-rebellion implies lack of
    > consciousness, which doesn't imply consent.

    Seems like, but isn't. It's every citizen's responsibility to be aware
    of the matters concerning the State. If they aren't, then again it is
    their own fault.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    -- George Orwell
    Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. War is peace.
    -- George Orwell
    Those that would give up a necessary freedom for temporary safety
    deserver neither freedom nor safety.
    -- Ben Franklin

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:10    [W:0.023 / U:39.248 seconds]