SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.20pre10
On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:30:38 -0200 (BRST)
> From: Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
> To: PinkFreud <pf-kernel@mirkwood.net>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
>
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, PinkFreud wrote:
>
> > You're preaching to the choir here. By withholding these
> > changes from US citizens, you're not going to pressure any
> > politicians.
>
> Pressuring US politicians is a job for US citizens.

Yep. I agree.

> Why are you asking Alan to risk prison _and_ pressure
> US politicians? That's something you, as a resident
> of the USA, should be doing yourself.

I never said that. I merely pointed out that most US citizens on this
list know what the DMCA really stands for, and are, in all likelyhood
doing something, no matter how small, about it. Why pressure us, when
most of us are undoubtedly aware of the problem?

As for risking jail, I point out again that the DMCA has never stopped him
before. I recognize that the Skylarov case has him scared - and I don't
blame him. Howver, Alan has already announced his intentions not to enter
the US until the DMCA is repealed. What do you think is going to happen -
Bush sends the military out to bomb his house?

Sorry, that was in bad taste, I know. But I am trying to make a point
here. There's not much the US can do without him entering the country,
and he doesn't plan on doing so. What annoys me, however, is suppressing
security information from US citizens just because a few moronic
politicians have their heads permanently shoved up their asses.

Seems to me Alan is just adding to the problem.

> Rik
> --

Mike Edwards

Brainbench certified Master Linux Administrator
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=158188