    Kelledin Tane <feralgod@home.com> writes:

    >> So my questions is:
    >> I'm going to buy a 3ware 6410(B)
    >> IDE raid controller .. can I suspect
    >> a failure safe system (in aspect to
    >> the 686b problems) when all discs
    >> are connected to the 3ware
    >> controller?
    >
    > I would certainly expect so. I have a Gigabyte GA-7DX with the infamous VIA
    > 686B southbridge...and an SBLive! Value...and I have no IDE devices at all
    > (complete SCSI). I have never encountered data corruption.

    I experienced constant and reproducable data corruption on two via
    motherboards. One using 686 and one 686b. However, not with the IDe
    drives. This was with a DDS4 scsi tape drive attached to either a
    Adaptec or Advansys scsi controller. A 2.5G file dump to tape would
    never restore the same. One the Adaptec card, I would get 1 or 2
    blocks of 64bytes that would differ. On the Advansys it would be 1 or
    2 blocks of 63 bytes.

    Switch to a PIII-500 on a BX motherboard and have had no problems.
    The VIA motherboards are now in windows machines where the flakiness
    of the OS is even worse than the hardware.

    --
    -rupa