On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:52:48AM -0700, LA Walsh wrote:
> I'm sure there's an obvious answer to this, but it is eluding me.
Probably...

> If I am on my local laptop, I can 'dd' an 8G partition to a
> removable HD of the same or slightly larger size (slightly large
> because of geometry differences).
>
> If I am on my desktop, "I can 'dd' the same size partition to
> a slightly larger one -- again, no problem.
>
> But if I use:
>
> dd if=/dev/hda2 bs=1M|rsh other-system of=/dev/sda2 bs=1M, I
> get failures of running out of room on target.  I've tried
> a variety of block size ranging from 1K->64G, but no luck.

You are missing one 'dd' from the other system side, but
are you also sure that the remote system can support large
files, and that the dd in there does support large files ?

Verify that you can 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=1M'
at that remote system -- then we know that dd in there
(and the system) can do it, and the bug-sphere shrinks.

> Is there something in the networking code that's preventing me
> from transferring more than a 2 or 4 G limit?

There should not be anything such.
(But of course things like RSH could have some nasty surprises
in them...)

> I just wanted an exact image off onto another system.  Would
> seem to have been straight forwared. but I guess not?
>
> Thanks in advance for any work-arounds and explanations...
>
> -linda

/Matti Aarnio

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.117 / U:0.620 seconds]