SubjectRe: how to see manually specified proxy arp entries using "ip neigh"
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Christopher Friesen wrote:

> kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
>
> > > I (and others) have asked this a couple times here and on the netdev list, and
> > > so far nobody has answered it (not even negatively).
> >
> > :-) And me answered to this hundred of times: "no way". :-)
>
> Whee, an answer!
>
> > Ability to add/delete them with "ip neigh" will be removed in the next
> > snapshot as well. The feature is obsolete.
>
> Oh? Let me present a scenario in which I use it and then you can tell me how
> better to do it.
>
> I'm using the ethertap device (in 2.2, tun/tap in 2.4 should be similar) to pass
> stuff up to userspace. I have an ethernet link. I want the kernel to proxy arp
> for the ip address assigned to the ethertap device with the mac address of the
> NIC, without enabling proxy arping for any other addresses.

Not needed. Any address assigned to an "internal" device (tun/tap, dummy,
etc) is pingable and arpable from any other address on the system
(assuming rp_filter is set correctly per interface). I use this "feature"
all the time and there was even a big argument over "loose vs. strict"
host replies back in the Spring of 2001 about this.

> Currently I have been doing this by manually setting proxy arping on the NIC for
> the IP address assigned to the ethertap device. If this feature is going to be
> removed, then how should I be doing this?

If an IP address is routed to on the external network then it will be
available. It does _not_ matter what interface that address is assigned
to. EX:

ip addr add 10.1.1.1/24 dev dummy0
ip link set dev dummy0 up

now ping 10.1.1.1 from another machine on eth0 that has an appropriate
route. I suspect what is really biting you is that your rp_filters are way
too restrictive on your machine.

> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
> Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557
> 3500 Carling Avenue | fax: (613) 765-2986
> Nepean, ON K2H 8E9 Canada | email: cfriesen@nortelnetworks.com
> -

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems LLC