    SubjectRe: VM
    On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 10:49:28PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > The VM just doesn't have the information it needs to
    > determine what to do...

    additional page aging cannot make it different as far I can tell.
    The twekaing I'm speaking about is a number. After probing the cache and
    after getting many faliures I need to choose when it's time to start
    the pagetable scanning. Additional bit of aging can only influence the number of
    faliures, I cannot see how can it help to know when to start the
    pagetable scanning. It's a _ratio_ between the faliures and the size of
    the scan that tells me when it's the time. You need the same logic too
    somewhere in -ac vm. Now if I turn the ratio very high the cache will
    shrink more before we start pagetable scanning. If I make it low we'll
    swapout very easily. This ratio doesn't need to be perfect, it will
    never trigger anyways most of the time, but it must be a sane number,
    and it can make some difference during swapout.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.023 / U:1.012 seconds]