    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] FUSD v1.00: Framework for User-Space Devices
    Pavel Machek wrote:
    > I do not think tty/pty pair does cut it for AT emulation. Can you
    > really emulate all neccessary features using pty/tty?

    Remember that if you go for a full user-space driver, you have to
    duplicate the kernel's tty layer to emulate everything. For full
    compatibility, that means emulating all the ancient serial and tty
    ioctls properly including Linux-specific ones, SYSV-style ones,
    BSD-style ones etc.

    That's already been done _and_ tested in the kernel over the years.
    While repeating that in user space is possible, I suspect that a pty/tty
    interface would end up providing better compatibility (in practice) for
    all the different, special and ancient terminal programs. In the cases
    where pty/tty doesn't relay enough information to the pty side, we
    should look at whether minor changes to the pty driver can fix that.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.047 / U:296.180 seconds]