    SubjectRe: crc32 cleanups
    I think this summarizes the problems with the crc code

    1. Should the crc code be included in the kernel generally ?
    2. If not - should the user or the driver modules change the behaviour of
    the kernel build process ?
    3. How do we provide crc functions for modules not included in the main
    kernel tree ?
    4. Should we use precompiled tables (bigger kernel) or use more compex
    (slower) algorithms ?

    I think the code should generally be included in the kernel - we can add
    somewhere an option like "Remove crc code from kernel if not used" marked
    as "dangerous". So the user can force removal if he is sure, he will never
    use the code. The drivers included in the kernel may still enable the
    code, if needed, but extern drivers won't work.

    To safe space or gain performance we should add a select option next to
    the "remove crc" one ("Optimize crc code for space/performance")

    Jan-Marek Glogowski

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.019 / U:2.192 seconds]