    Subjectjournaling and devel [was Re: Development Setups]

    > > I was thinking of starting with a modern machine for developing/
    > > compiling on, and then older machine(s) for testing. This way I
    > > would not risk losing data if I oops or somesuch.
    > With journalling filesystems you needn't worry _too_ much about losing
    > data; depending of course on what you're hacking on. Having two separate
    > boxen for development and testing is mostly valuable because you can keep
    > working when you break it - it doesn't take your entire desktop environment
    > down with it.

    I disagree.. With journal filesystem, when something is silently corrupting
    your disk, you'll never know. With ext2, you sometimes sync & reset to make
    sure your disks are still healthy. I would not recommend journaling on
    experimental boxes.
    details at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.022 / U:2.160 seconds]