Subjectjournaling and devel [was Re: Development Setups]

> > I was thinking of starting with a modern machine for developing/
> > compiling on, and then older machine(s) for testing. This way I
> > would not risk losing data if I oops or somesuch.
> With journalling filesystems you needn't worry _too_ much about losing
> data; depending of course on what you're hacking on. Having two separate
> boxen for development and testing is mostly valuable because you can keep
> working when you break it - it doesn't take your entire desktop environment
> down with it.

I disagree.. With journal filesystem, when something is silently corrupting
your disk, you'll never know. With ext2, you sometimes sync & reset to make
sure your disks are still healthy. I would not recommend journaling on
experimental boxes.
details at