    SubjectRe: Security question: "Text file busy" overwriting executables but not shared libraries?
    Whatever will be the chosen solution, it would have to allow to
    overwrite all the executables and libraries files (if we have enough
    permissions).

    Because:

    - If I overwrite a shared library and then one running program crash, it
    will be my fault (as system administrator) or mistake.. ;-)

    - It is probable that one file library is updated within one more global
    update, then probably I restart later the new demon or program. So if
    the program crash I'll fix the problem eventually.

    - The previous version of a file library that I am replacing can depend
    on another file that the installer of the new version of the program
    simply erases it. For example:

    a.so depends of b.so

    but

    a_new_version.so does not depend of b.so.

    When I or an installer install the new program version, me or the
    installer erase b.so because the new version doesn't use it.

    So, that it matters if a program can or can't access to the old version
    of a.so if b.so was erased?

    And eventually, if I decide to update a library, I would have to do it
    (I suspect it would be the same case with executables files). It doesn't
    the matter if the change implies a fault in a running program.

    It can be that this serves so that a hacker can attack the system... or
    I could hang a program when this is not my objective. Maybe a flag in
    /proc/somewhere would be am useful thing:

    - if it's 1, I can overwrite all the libraries and executables files (If
    I've permission, etc.);

    - if it's 0, I can not overwrite anything If it's in use.

    I only want that everybody respect my right to do the wrong or stupid
    thing. This is an system administrator right :-)

    Pablo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.029 / U:30.628 seconds]