    SubjectRe: [OT] Re: Which kernel (Linus or ac)?
    Date
    > That's odd, my Red Hat servers have been
    > almost like appliances. Not perfect, but all
    > the problems I've seen could be dealt with.

    Oh I could deal with all of the problems as well. But after a good bit
    of recompiling, patching, upgrading, backtracking the things done in the
    "Redhat" way which many times don't match the man pages, as well as undoing
    the "Redhat" way annoyances I just end up with a variation of my own hand
    built distribution. And once I have to replace the system experimental C
    library and compiler it just get even more ridicules.

    > I've seen worse problems in commercial
    > unices, e.g. unixware - yuk - and hpux.

    I know. Please don't remind me of UnixWare. I buried that at my
    clients' and companies' sites in the Linux 1.2.x days.

    > x.0 release: New stuff, interesting, buggy
    > x.1 release: A passable cleanup of the bugs in .0
    > x.2 release: A smooth, polished, evolution of .1

    Well here's hoping that 7.2 is smooth and polished. Especially since
    Redhat has become the defacto standard and I'll probably be trying it out
    again.

    > (shrug) I had no idea it was alpha - it works
    > well for me, and I'm a vi man.

    I never keep it around for long after I saw it crash a couple of times
    on my first 7.0 or 7.1 box so I can't say much about its stability. Besides
    it was more the principal of the thing. Why in the world use the alpha
    version of a text editor when a perfectly good released version exists with
    pretty much the same functionality. One thing I did notice, if I remember
    correctly. Seamed that either the installed vim was crippled or had a bug
    in reading my customized .vimrc file. My custom options didn't get loaded
    until I downloaded the latest 5.[89] source and recompiled myself a new
    version.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.024 / U:61.960 seconds]