    SubjectRe: Dual Athlon XP 1800+ on Tyan Thunder K7 or Tiger MP anyone?
    Joel Jaeggli wrote:

    >On 11 Oct 2001, John J Tobin wrote:
    >>>The issue right now may be RAM cost. I just bought 512MB PC133 for
    >>>$140/GB, while "registered PC2100" memory is about $900 from the same
    >>>source. I think that's what the Tiger wants, isn't it?
    >registered ecc dimms from crucial and kingston valueram are barely more
    >than non-registered parts... I see the 512MB kingston registered ecc ddram
    >part for $220 from a large mailorder house. the same spec part from
    >corsair is still $489 from the same vendor. given the headaches that
    >result from having to debug problems/faulty dimms on a machine with 2GB of
    >ram and the non-trivial engineering that went into getting 4 reasonably
    >spaced ddr dimm sockets on the mainboard. I expect registered ecc dimms
    >will be well worth it, if only so that you can rule out the memory as the
    >culprit if you have certain kinds of issues...

    I have very good experience by testing with a memtest boot floppy (see, and running overnight or a whole week-end. All new
    configurations I build get a long memtest before deployment.

    >>>bill davidsen <>
    >>The Tyan Tiger and Thunder both take Registered DDR DIMMs. Though
    >>anandtech got it running using only one pair of unregistered, other
    >>combinations of unregistered failed to boot. There are also no SMP
    >>athlon chipsets that use PC133.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.025 / U:6.048 seconds]