    SubjectUhhuh.. 2.4.12

    2.4.11 had a fix for a symlink DoS attack, but sadly that fix broke the
    creation of files through a dangling symlink rather badly (it caused the
    inode to be created in the very same inode as the symlink, with unhappy
    end results).

    Happily nobody uses that particular horror - or _almost_ nobody does. It
    looks like at least the SuSE installer (yast2) does, which causes a nasty
    unkillable inode as /dev/mouse if you use yast2 on 2.4.11.

    ("debugfs -w rootdev" + "rm /dev/mouse" will remove it, although I suspect
    there are other less drastic methods too if your fsck doesn't seem to
    notice anything wrong with it. Only one report of this actually happening
    so far).

    So I made a 2.4.12, and renamed away the sorry excuse for a kernel that
    2.4.11 was.

    Linus

    -----
    final:
    - Greg KH: USB update (fix UHCI timeouts, serial unplug)
    - Christoph Rohland: shmem locking fixes
    - Al Viro: more mount cleanup
    - me: fix bad interaction with link_count handling
    - David Miller: Sparc updates, net cleanup
    - Tim Waugh: parport update
    - Jeff Garzik: net driver updates

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.022 / U:87.820 seconds]