    SubjectRe: Tainted Modules Help Notices
    On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Pekka Pietikäinen wrote:

    > On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:35:34AM +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
    > > How about
    > >
    > > "BSD (included in kernel source)"
    > >
    > > to make clear that this is part of the distributed kernel _sources_.
    > >
    > > "included in kernel" could also be a 3rd party binary only driver
    > > added by a Linux distribution vendor.
    > Or even something like "BSD (unmodified source freely available)", which
    > would cover 3rd party drivers as well.

    "BSD (GPL compatible)"? Or a more generic "Other GPL compatible"?

    For that matter, it's not GPL compatibility that matters here, it's source
    availability for debugging purposes; AIUI, even an "old-style BSD" module
    shouldn't taint the kernel.

    Better still, rather than the licensing details, have the source URL.
    Either MODULE_SOURCE_URL("http://example.com/drivers/linux/scsi.html") or
    MODULE_BINARY_ONLY, with the latter tainting the kernel since the source
    is not *freely* available?

    James.
    --
    "Our attitude with TCP/IP is, `Hey, we'll do it, but don't make a big
    system, because we can't fix it if it breaks -- nobody can.'"

    "TCP/IP is OK if you've got a little informal club, and it doesn't make
    any difference if it takes a while to fix it."
    -- Ken Olson, in Digital News, 1988

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.031 / U:123.924 seconds]