    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.10-ac11
    On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 04:22:28AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > * Small fixes to various long standing bugs, various architecture and
    > > * driver cleanups. The 2.4.10-ac tree now seems pretty solid.
    > > *
    > >
    > > 2.4.10-ac11
    > > o Further VM tuning (Rik van Riel)
    > Short version: Kicks ass!
    > Long version: the sluggishness that 2.4.9, 2.4.10 and the previous -ac
    > versions suffered from (not sure if 2.4.7 was also sluggish) seems to be
    > gone, the machine is much quieter now and does not look like paralysed
    > for seconds every now and then. Stress tests need to be done, but a make
    > -j on various DJB tools which would start up only slowly now quickly
    > zoom through.

    Hmm, I'm still seeing jerky swap out performance with make -j 30 on 256MB
    workstation. Swap in is good and smooth though. I would see kswapd taking
    about 10% (with 30 gcc processes on a 2x366 celeron) just before it would
    swap out about 5000 blocks in one second (actually, the entire system
    stalled for about 5-10 seconds, and vmstat wouldn't even report in that
    time period).

    Would you be interested in a vmstat output from kernel compile that is
    guaranteed to generate swap out?

    I thought of sending both output of make and vmstat to syslog (to get
    timestamps and an idea of exactly what is happening during the vmstat

    If so, I can write up a little script that can send the output of vmstat, a
    diff of /proc/meminfo, and make output from kernel compile.

    Or would that be too much data to look at?

    > However, one thing strikes me on boot: ext3fs claims it's 0.9.6, while
    > the ext3 web site tells us about 0.9.10. What's going on with 2.4.x-ac
    > ext3fs? Should I be concerned?

    No, the ext3 guys are working on a merge patch for -ac right now. Though
    you won't see it on the ext3 for 2.4 web site... Check the ext2-devel
    archive for the last week or so...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.023 / U:6.844 seconds]