    SubjectRe: DMA problem (?) w/2.4.6-xfs and ServerWorks OSB4 Chipset

    Steven C. Timm (630) 840-8525
    Fermilab Computing Division/Operating Systems Support
    Scientific Computing Support Group--Computing Farms Operations

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Mark Hahn wrote:

    > > We began with a system with a Seagate system drive (master, ide0), same
    > > model as in Marvin's post.. IDE cd rom
    > > as slave on the ide0 bus, and two IBM data drives on the ide1 bus.
    > > whenever it does happen. It is wrong to think this problem happens
    > > only with Seagate drives.
    > indeed, it seems that the most common trigger for this problem
    > is simply putting two devices from different vendors on the same channel.
    > Seagate drives are fairly notorious for not getting along with others.
    > it's best to think of IDE as a point-to-point link.

    True... however, we were still able to reproduce these problems
    with only one drive on the bus.

    > regards, mark hahn.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.021 / U:50.012 seconds]