    SubjectRe: [patch] netconsole-2.4.10-B1
    Date
    Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> writes:

    >Owww crap. The majority of web traffic is _from_ the
    >server _to_ the client. Same for ftp, realaudio, etc...

    Did you mean:

    Server is the data source.
    Client is the data sink.

    netconsole.o is the server (data source)
    netconsole listener is the client (data sink)

    Or did you mean:

    Server is the part that offers a service
    Client is the part that uses the service

    netconsole listener offers the "receive console messages" service -> server
    netconsole.o uses the "receive console message" service -> client

    So both definitions are right/wrong. Choose any you like. Just
    document it and stick to it. =:-)

    I am happy to have a network console no matter what is the client and
    what is the server.

    I personally, would say, that if you have a "one - many" network
    relation, then the "one" part is the server. So in this case, the
    netconsole listener would be the server and the netconsole.o the
    client(s). Which is like syslog and so conforms to the "principle of
    least surprise". :-)

    Or can you have multiple listeners to a single netconsole.o instance?

    Regards
    Henning

    OT: "Client/Server computing is like teenage sex. Everyone talks about
    it, almost nobody really does it and those who do, don't get it right
    most of the time". :-)

    --
    Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
    INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH hps@intermeta.de

    Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de
    D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20