    SubjectRe: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1

    On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > > We have already shown that the IO-plugging API sucks, I'm afraid.
    > >
    > > it might not be important to others, but we do hold one particular
    > > SPECweb99 world record: on 2-way, 2 GB RAM, testing a load with a full
    >
    > And its real world value is exactly the same as the mindcraft NT
    > values. Don't forget that.

    ( what you have not quoted is the part that says that the fileset is 9GB.
    This is one of the busiest and most complex block-IO Linux systems i've
    ever seen, this is why i quoted it - the talk was about block-IO
    performance, and Stephen said that our block IO sucks. It used to suck,
    but in 2.4, with the right patch from Jens, it doesnt suck anymore. )

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:3.860 / U:0.632 seconds]