    Date said:
    > Powering down a VCR whilst recording can damage the tape or even
    > worse have the tap get jammed in the video. I have also had a TV die
    > because it was unpowered from the mains without being switched off
    > first.

    > Sure, these things don't always happen -- but they sometimes do. I
    > would argue things like VCRs and TVs are just more tolerant than more
    > complex systems -- not immune.

    The reasoning here seems to be that because many other systems break under
    these circumstances, we shouldn't bother to make Linux reliable.

    I don't quite understand that way of thinking.

    I will continue to test the boards I work on with random power cycles and
    to consider the filesystem broken if it doesn't like that treatment.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.020 / U:0.564 seconds]