SubjectRe: Journaling: Surviving or allowing unclean shutdown?
Date

cw@f00f.org said:
> Powering down a VCR whilst recording can damage the tape or even
> worse have the tap get jammed in the video. I have also had a TV die
> because it was unpowered from the mains without being switched off
> first.

> Sure, these things don't always happen -- but they sometimes do. I
> would argue things like VCRs and TVs are just more tolerant than more
> complex systems -- not immune.

The reasoning here seems to be that because many other systems break under
these circumstances, we shouldn't bother to make Linux reliable.

I don't quite understand that way of thinking.

I will continue to test the boards I work on with random power cycles and
to consider the filesystem broken if it doesn't like that treatment.

--
dwmw2