    SubjectRe: Prerelease kernel will not hotplug a USB host-controller when it is inserted into a Cardbus slot.
    David Brownell wrote:

    <snip>

    > The root cause seems to be the Cardbus/PCI hotplug invocation not
    > happening for you.

    Yep.

    > Was this with or without the "pcmcia_cs" package installed? My
    > own take on it is that 2.4 _should_ hotplug that controller
    > just fine if "pcmcia_cs" isn't installed. Otherwise, I'd be
    > pleasantly surprised to know it works properly.

    You are more or less correct. I've looked a little bit at
    the source and now understand a little bit better. It turns
    out that parts of the Cardbus code in the kernel source
    includes code from the pcmcia_cs package. The "cs:" messages
    in the log are generated by this code. I *think* this code
    reads configuration files from /etc/pcmcia, but I haven't
    found the place in the code that does it. Anyhow, these
    messages:

    cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
    cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: clean.
    cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x280-0x28f 0x378-0x37f
    0x3a0-0x3a7 0x4d0-0x4d7
    cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.

    change when I modify /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.
    The /etc/pcmcia/config* files get installed by the pcmcia_cs
    package, so even when I am only using the cardbus functionality,
    there seems to be some need to pcmcia_cs, since the config.opts
    file contains "magic" good defaults numbers for safe irqs, ports
    and memory ranges.

    As I have already discussed with David Brownell, there is huge a
    problem getting a usable cardbus solution with the current pcmcia_cs
    package. Even when I tell it I am using a 2.4.0 kernel and that
    I want to use the development kernel's drivers, it maps loads of
    device IDs to the pcmcia_cs drivers which don't exist in this
    configuration! For example, it maps the 3c575 device ID to
    3c575_cb instead of 3c59x.

    >> For the Cardbus hotplug event, is it expected that the hotplug
    >> debug info would be dumped after the insert event is processed
    >> and the required driver is loaded?
    >

    > No -- you were seeing the USB hotplug event, not the cardbus one.
    >
    > Plugging a cardbus OHCI into your machine should cause two hotplug
    > events ... first for PCI, eventually modprobing "usb-ohci", and
    > then as that module initializes you'll get a second one for USB,
    > reporting a new (root) hub.
    >
    > So you should see an invocation "arguments (pci) env (...)"
    > followed by "arguments (usb) env (...)"; but you reported the
    > second one.

    Well, I have no idea why the "arguments (pci) env (...)"
    message wasn't emitted. I do know that with the test12-pre5
    kernel I get working hotplug for the BusPort Mobile.

    Thanks for all your help!

    Miles

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.039 / U:0.084 seconds]