    SubjectRe: Still not sexy! (Re: sendfile+zerocopy: fairly sexy (nothing to do with ECN)
    Ingo Molnar writes:

    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, jamal wrote:
    >
    > > > - is this UDP or TCP based? (UDP i guess)
    > > >
    > > TCP
    >
    > well then i'd suggest to do:
    >
    > echo 100000 100000 100000 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem
    >
    > does this make any difference?

    For the last week I've been benchmarking Linux network and I/O on a
    couple of machines with 3c985 gigabit cards and some other stuff
    (see below). One of the things I tried yesterday was a beta test
    version of a secure ftpd written by Chris Evans which happens to use
    sendfile() making it a convenient extra benchmark. I'd already put
    net.core.{r,w}mem_max up to 262144 for the sake of gensink and other
    benchmarks which raise SO_{SND,RCV}BUF. I hadn't however, tried
    raising tcp_wmem as per your suggestion above.

    Currently the systems are linked back to back with fibre with jumbo
    frames (MTU 9000) on and running pure kernel 2.4.1. I transferred a 300
    MByte file repeatedly from the server to the client with an ftp "get"
    client-side. The file will have been completely in page cache on the
    server (both machines have 512MB RAM) and was written to /dev/null on
    the client side. (Yes, I checked the client was doing ordinary
    read/write and not throwing it away).

    Without the raised tcp_wmem setting I was getting 81 MByte/s.
    With tcp_wmem set as above I got 86 MByte/s. Nice increase. Any other
    setting I can tweak apart from {r,w}mem_max and tcp_{w,r}mem? The CPU
    on the client (350 MHz PII) is the bottleneck: gensink4 maxes out at
    69 Mbyte/s pulling TCP from the server and 94 Mbyte/s pushing. (The
    other system, 733 MHz PIII pushes >100MByte/s UDP with ttcp but the
    client drops most of it).

    I'll be following up Dave Miller's "please benchmark zerocopy"
    request when I've got some more numbers written down since I've only
    just put the zerocopy patch in and haven't rebooted yet.

    If anyone wants any other specific benchmarks done (I/O or network)
    I may get some time to do them: the PIII system has an 8-port
    Escalade card with 8 x 46GB disks (117 MByte/s block writes as
    measured by Bonnie on a RAID1/0 mixed RAIDset) and there are also
    four dual-port eepro fast ethernet cards, a Cisco 8-port 3508G gigabit
    switch and a 24-port 3524 fast ethernet switch (gigastack linked to
    the 3508G). I'm benchmarking and looking into the possibility of a DIY
    NAS or SAN-type thing.

    --Malcolm

    --
    Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk>