    Subject2.2.18: apm initialised before dmi_scan?
    Hi Stephen,

    Looking more closely at a 2.2.18 bootup tonight I see that apm stuff
    appears in dmesg before dmi_scan does (I added "#define DUMP_DMI" in

    If this implies that apm is initialised *before* the dmi_scan then there
    is potentially a problem with buggy BIOSen that oops instead of reporting
    power status, given:

    * passing the boot-parameter apm=debug causes a power status report as apm
    is initialised

    * dmi_scan is identifying at least one machine that oopses when the power
    status report BIOS call is invoked.

    ... so with a buggy BIOS and "apm=debug" it's vital that the dmi_scan is
    completed *before* apm is initialised - which is not what I am seeing with
    2.2.18 (nor can I see where the order of such things is set). The test
    would be to boot a buggy Dell with "apm=debug" (and "#define DUMP_DMI" in
    dmi_scan.c - but if my theory is right it won't get that far) and watch
    for smoke leakage.

    I think it's obvious that this would all go away if apm is a module (as it
    can be with 2.4).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.029 / U:5.124 seconds]