    SubjectStill not sexy! (Re: sendfile+zerocopy: fairly sexy (nothing to do with ECN)

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Ion Badulescu wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, jamal wrote:
    >
    > > > 11.5kBps, quite consistently.
    > >
    > > This gige card is really sick. Are you sure? Please double check.
    >
    > Umm.. the starfire chipset is 100Mbit only. So 11.5MBps (sorry, that was a
    > typo, it's mega not kilo) is really all I'd expect out of it.

    not good.

    So far all the tests have been around CPU. The general trend seems
    to be:
    - sendfile + ZC good for CPU
    - write() + ZC not good for CPU
    (i might have forgotten something from Andrew's results).
    This happens (even with my bogus cpu measure) to be similar.
    That seems to be explainable.

    ** I reported that there was also an oddity in throughput values,
    unfortunately since no one (other than me) seems to have access
    to a gige cards in the ZC list, nobody can confirm or disprove
    what i posted. Here again as a reminder:

    Kernel | tput | sender-CPU | receiver-CPU |
    2.4.0-pre3 | 99MB/s | 87% | 23% |
    NSF | | | |
    2.4.0-pre3 | 86MB/s | 100% | 17% |
    2.4.0-pre3 | 66.2 | 60% | 11% |
    +ZC | MB/s | | |
    2.4.0-pre3 | 68 | 8% | 8% |
    +ZC SF | MB/s | | |

    Just ignore the CPU readings, focus on throughput. And could someone plese
    post results?

    cheers,
    jamal

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.022 / U:1.504 seconds]