    SubjectRe: VM breakdown, 2.4.0 family
    I have Marcelo's patch.  It isn't applicable because I am purposely not enabling any
    swap. The problem is the system gets down to about 7 megs of buffers free and within
    three seconds has become functionally dead. Zero response on any user input/output
    device save the magic key.

    The system will then grind the harddrive solid for about 25-30 minutes then
    everything will go silent.

    The brokenness is that the OOM code never activates.

    Ed Tomlinson wrote:

    > David Ford Wrote:
    > >Since the testN series and up through ac12, I experience total loss of
    > >control when memory is nearly exhausted.
    > >
    > >I start with 256M and eat it up with programs until there is only about
    > >7 megs left, no swap. From that point all user processes stall and the
    > >disk begins to grind nonstop. It will continue to grind for about 25-30
    > >minutes until it goes completely silent. No processes get killed, no VM
    > >messages are emitted.
    > >
    > >The only recourse is the magic key. If I reboot before the disk goes
    > >silent I can cleanly kill X with sysrq-E and restart.
    > >
    > >If I wait until it goes silent, all is lost. I have to sysrq-SUB.
    > You might want to try:
    > or
    > The first patch from Marcelo fixes a problem with aging the wrong pages. The
    > second patch is sort of a 'best of Marcelo' patch. It contains the aging fix
    > and adds conditional bg pte aging (if with activate fast than we age
    > down...). It also has code to trottle swapouts when under preasure - it only
    > swaps out as much as we need now.
    > I have fives days of uptime with it here (on test9 and test10).
    > Feedback Welcome,
    > Ed Tomlinson <>

    There is a natural aristocracy among men. The grounds of this are virtue and talents. Thomas Jefferson
    The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. Andrew S. Tanenbaum

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.023 / U:10.440 seconds]