SubjectRe: Total loss with 2.4.0 (release)
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

>> >I had a similar experience. All I can say is windows 98
>> >and ME seem to have it out for Linux drives running late
>> >2.3.x and 2.4.0 test and release. I had windows completely
>> >fry my Linux drive and I lost everything. I had some old
>>
>> I don't see how Windows 9x can be at fault in any way shape or
>> form, if you can boot between 2.2.x kernel and 9x no problem, but
>> lose your disk if you boot Win98 and then 2.3.x/2.4.x and lose
>> everything. Windows does not touch your Linux fs's, so if there
>
>WS Windows might reprogram IDE / drives in some way that, being left in that
>state, conflict with linux's. .. well, ask Andre, he'll know :)

I certainly wouldn't say it is impossible. ;o) Definitely
anything is possible in machines today, especially where chips do
not match chip specs, and OS's do not follow either. ;o)

Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Free Software advocate
This message is copyright 2001, all rights reserved.
Views expressed are my own, not necessarily shared by my employer.