    SubjectRe: Total loss with 2.4.0 (release)
    On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Trever L. Adams wrote:

    > Patrizio Bruno wrote:
    >
    > > I think that your linux's partition has not been overwritten, but only the MBR
    > > of your disk, so you probably just need to reinstall lilo. Insert your
    > > installation bootdisk into your pc, then skip all the setup stuff, but the
    > > choose of the partition where you want to install and the source from where
    > > you want to install, then select just the lilo configuration (bootconfiguration
    > > I mean), complete that step and reboot your machine, lilo will'be there again.
    > >
    > > P.
    > >
    > > On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Trever L. Adams wrote:
    >
    > I hate to tell you this, but you couldn't be more wrong. My MBR was
    > fine. Lilo was fine and ran fine. The kernel even booted. The problem
    > was my ext2 partition was scrambled but good (over 4 hours trying to fix
    > it and answer all the questions that fsck threw out). The ext2 drive
    > lost a lot of data and suddenly had windows stuff all over it (yes, just
    > like Mike, I had ttf fonts and other such things).
    >
    > Trever

    Yes, last week I had a similar problem with the 2.4.0 (release) version.
    I use only SCSI (Buslogic on this machine). The root file-system
    was overwritten with a repeated directory-name+junk. This was reported
    to the linux-kernel list. This problem occurred during my automated
    nightly tape backup. Since the backup operation is mostly a read
    operation, I suggested that the corruption occurred while updating
    ATIME.

    The file system was not recoverable. I keep a week's worth of tapes
    before they get overwritten so I only lost a day's work and I really
    didn't do much on that day so I really lost nothing but my temper ;^;).

    Nobody seems to have discovered the problem yet. It is likely some
    race produced by those who have been working on finer-ganularity
    locking.

    I'm still using the same kernel, although my 'tar' script now
    does --atime-preserve. I don't know if this really works as
    expected though...

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson

    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.0 on an i686 machine (799.53 BogoMips).

    obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.021 / U:92.364 seconds]