    SubjectRe: Firewall netlink question...
    On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Scaramanga wrote:

    > Under Linux 2.2.x I used to be able to use ipchains to send packet to a
    > netlink socket so that my userspace application could further analyze
    > the packet data.
    >
    > Since kernel 2.4 and iptables, I have not enjoyed the same functionality,
    > has it been deprecated in favour of a better method, if so, what? I ask
    > because I just spent my last few hours writing an iptables plugin, and
    > netfilter target kernel module, in order to replace the old functionality
    > exactly, to the end that my application works with zero modifications.
    You might take a look at

    $ man iptables
    TARGETS
    QUEUE means to pass the packet to userspace (if supported by the kernel).

    $ sed -n -e '1874,1876p' /usr/src/linux-2.4.0/Documentation/Configure.help
    CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE
    Netfilter has the ability to queue packets to user space: the
    netlink device can be used to access them using this driver.

    $ lynx /usr/share/doc/iptables/html/packet-filtering-HOWTO-7.html

    BYtE
    Philipp
    --
    / / (_)__ __ ____ __ Philipp Hahn