    SubjectRe: Is this kernel related (signal 11)?
    Date
    Rogier Wolff writes:
    > Harware problems are normally not reproducable. Can you attach a
    > debugger to your X server, and catch it when things go bad? (And
    > give the Xfree86 people a backtrace)

    Bad RAM can be extremely reproducable though, and can certainly produce
    SEGVs.

    Evidence: I recently had a bad 128MB SDRAM which *always* failed at byte
    address 0x220068, which was the middle of the mem_map array. All I
    needed to do was 'dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null' and the machine would
    die within 5 minutes due to an invalid buffer_head pointer.

    The SDRAM naturally passed each and every single memory test I could
    throw at it. However, a new SDRAM fixed the problem.

    It is quite common for SDRAMs to fail in this way - think about the
    failure mode. Some of the silicon in the SDRAM is damaged. This isn't
    going to move about, so its going to be in a fixed position. A fixed
    position means a specific set of transistors, gate, and therefore
    memory location.

    In answer to the original posters question, the first step would be
    to grab a copy of memtest86 (iirc its a program that is run from floppy
    disk) and run that on your system. That /should/ (and I stress should
    there) detect any RAM problems you have.

    --
    Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk) The developer of ARM Linux