SubjectRe: Is sendfile all that sexy?

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, James Sutherland wrote:

> For many applications, yes - but think about a file server for a
> moment. 99% of the data read from the RAID (or whatever) is really
> aimed at the appropriate NIC - going via main memory would just slow
> things down.

patently wrong. Compare the bandwidth of PCI and the bandwidth of memory
controllers. It's both slower, has higher latency and uses up more
valuable (PCI) bandwidth to do PCI->PCI transfers. The number of
situations where PCI->PCI transactions are the preferred method are *very*
limited, and i think we should deal with them when we see them. But this
has been said at the very beginning of this thread already, please read it
all ...

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.159 / U:0.128 seconds]