    SubjectInefficient PCI DMA usage (was: [experimental patch] UHCI updates)
    On Fri, Jan 19, 2001, Miles Lane <> wrote:
    > Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
    > > TODO
    > > ----
    > > - The PCI DMA architecture is horribly inefficient on x86 and ia64. The
    > > result is a page is allocated for each TD. This is evil. Perhaps a slab
    > > cache internally? Or modify the generic slab cache to handle PCI DMA
    > > pages instead?
    > This might be the kind of thing to run past Linus when the 2.5 tree
    > opens up. Are these inefficiencies necessary evils due to workarounds
    > for whacky bugs in BIOSen or PCI chipsets or are they due to poor
    > design/implementation?

    Looks like poor design/implementation. Or perhaps it was designed for
    another reason than I want to use it for.

    2.5 is probably where any core changes will happen, if any. But for now
    I suspect I'll need to workaround it in my driver.

    I should also check architectures other than x86 and ia64.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:0.028 / U:28.976 seconds]