    SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency scheduling patch for 2.4.0
    On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 07:45:43PM -0700, Jay Ts wrote:
    > Andrew Morton wrote:
    > >
    > > Jay Ts wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Now about the only thing left is to get it included
    > > > in the standard kernel. Do you think Linus Torvalds is more likely
    > > > to accept these patches than Ingo's? I sure hope this one works out.
    > >
    > > We (or "he") need to decide up-front that Linux is to become
    > > a low latency kernel. Then we need to decide the best way of
    > > doing that.
    > >
    > > Making the kernel internally preemptive is probably the best way of
    > > doing this. But it's a *big* task
    > Ouch. Yes, I agree that the ideal path is for Linus and the other
    > kernel developers and ... well, just about everyone ... is to create
    > a long-range strategy and 'roadmap' that includes support for low-latency.
    > And making the kernel preemptive might be the best way to do that
    > (and I'm saying "might"...).

    Keep in mind that Ken Thompson & Dennis Ritchie did not decide on a
    non-preemptive strategy for UNIX because they were unaware of such
    methods or because they were stupid. And when Rob Pike redesigned a new
    "unix" Plan9 note there is no-preemptive kernel, and the core Linux
    designers have rejected preemptive kernels too. Now it is certainly possible
    that things have change and/or all these folks are just plain wrong. But
    I wouldn't bet too much on it.

    Victor Yodaiken
    Finite State Machine Labs: The RTLinux Company.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.029 / U:39.220 seconds]