SubjectRe: [RFC] Generic deferred file writing

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Depends on a filesystem. Generally you don't want asynchronous operations
> to grab semaphores shared with something else. kswapd knows to skip the locked
> pages, but that's it - if writepage() is going to block on a semaphore you
> will not know what had hit you. And while buffer-cache operations will not
> trigger writepage() (grep for GFP_BUFFER and GFP_IO and you'll see) you have
> no such warranties for other sources of memory pressure. If one of them
> hits while you are holding such semaphore - you are toast.

I just checked that and you're right, sorry for causing confusion and
thanks for clearing this up.

> We probably could pull it off for ext2_truncate() vs. ext2_get_block()
> but it would not do us any good. It would give excessive exclusion for
> operations that can be done in parallel just fine (example: we have
> a hole from 100Kb to 200Kb. Pageouts in that area can be trivially
> done i parallel - current code will not even try to do unrolls. With
> your locking they will be serialized for no good reason). What for?

Let me come back to the three phases I mentioned earlier:
alloc_block: does only a read-only check whether a block needs to be
allocated or not, this can be done in parallel and only needs the page
get_block: blocks are now really allocated and this needs locking of the
commit_block: write the allocated blocks to the inode and this now would
use an inode specific semaphore to protect the updates of indirect blocks.

The only problem I see is truncate, but if we move the release of unneeded
indirect blocks to file_close, only new indirect blocks can appear while
the file is open, but they won't change anymore, what would make lots of
the checks easier.

bye, Roman