    SubjectRe: Coding Style
    Date
    > Tabs are 8 characters so NO tabs should be used in ANY source file what
    > Rationale: Tabs force your code out to the right edge of the display
    > leaving no room for comments. You don't need great big gaping spaces to
    > delineate the start and end of a block, TWO spaces do this just fine.

    Correct, because adjustable tab width is a myth. The comments don't
    line up when you muck with tab width.

    > int function(int x)
    > {
    > body of function // correctly braced and commented :)
    > }

    1. put your head in a PET scanner
    2. think about Pascal while the doctors observe
    3. get radiation treatment to kill neurons infected with Pascal

    > Linus states that the placement of the first brace at the end of the
    > first line keeps your code less vertical and thus saves you some space
    > for comments. This commenting style just plane sucks, it fragments your
    > source file creating all kinds of visual clutter making them impossible
    > to read. New lines ARE A RENEWABLE resource, if they aren't then you need
    > to buy more ram for your 8086 (or is it a z80 ?).

    I get 30 to 60 lines on my monitors, but I want over 200 lines.
    Such a monitor would be at least $6000, assuming I could find one.
    (fuzzy text doesn't count)

    > One other thing. Allot of people neglect to brace a statement if
    > it has a single line body. This is VERY bad, always brace your
    > statements....
    >
    > if (x = 1)
    > if (y = 2)
    > if (z = 3)
    > for (i = 1; i < 10; i++)
    > if ....
    > switch (foo)
    >
    > ...is really stupid. DON'T DO IT!

    Agreed, but braces are not the fix.

    > I would however like to state that the C switch statement is evil and
    > to be avoided at all costs. If you really need to use one for what
    > ever reason then each case in that switch statement should be a

    The gcc computed goto extension is better, because it doesn't suffer
    the overhead of that stupid built-in default. We need __raw_switch
    to overcome this. If I leave out the default and pass in bogus values
    then I should get a crash. (this is about performance)

    > I have never really liked the C language, it seems to me that it has a
    > habit of making ANY idiot think he/she can be a coder. C is an easy
    > language to learn but to be a good C coder takes years of hard study
    > and a TRUE artistic flair for programming. This means that 99% of all
    > C code is JUNK code.

    I'm still looking for a readable description of C99 aliasing rules
    and proper usage of "restrict". It is no wonder that schools are
    switching to Java.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:0.026 / U:62.320 seconds]