    SubjectRe: multi-queue scheduler update
    As promised, here are some numbers for low thread counts from the
    benchmark Andrew and Davide provided. I ran the benchmark for
    1,2,4 and 8 threads. I ran the test 5 times for each thread count
    and used 60 seconds as the measure time in each case.

    2.4.0
    -----
    1 1785408 1785408 0 0.000000
    1 1786130 1786130 0 0.000000
    1 1786156 1786156 0 0.000000
    1 1781575 1781575 0 0.000000
    1 1780079 1780079 0 0.000000
    2 1873405 936702 0 0.000000
    2 2006473 1003236 0 0.000001
    2 1953842 976921 0 0.000004
    2 1951338 975669 0 0.000000
    2 1887887 943943 0 0.000004
    4 1936350 484087 0 0.000055
    4 1814430 453607 0 0.000087
    4 1972681 493170 0 0.000055
    4 1951748 487937 0 0.000206
    4 1862182 465545 0 0.000283
    8 2917216 364652 0 0.000008
    8 2655834 331979 0 0.000018
    8 3026734 378341 0 0.000005
    8 3010204 376275 0 0.000004
    8 2569647 321205 0 0.000014

    2.4.0-multi-queue
    -----------------
    1 1295498 1295498 0 0.000000
    1 1295011 1295011 0 0.000000
    1 1296768 1296768 0 0.000000
    1 1296053 1296053 0 0.000000
    1 1296472 1296472 0 0.000000
    2 1999043 999521 0 0.000000
    2 1410636 705318 0 0.000000
    2 1414476 707238 0 0.000000
    2 2014664 1007332 0 0.000001
    2 1414509 707254 0 0.000000
    4 2046182 511545 0 0.000232
    4 2101535 525383 0 0.000115
    4 2094828 523707 0 0.000155
    4 2097406 524351 0 0.000144
    4 2057331 514332 0 0.000132
    8 3795829 474478 0 0.000185
    8 4058329 507291 0 0.001871
    8 3845934 480741 0 0.000248
    8 3715243 464405 0 0.000084
    8 3777303 472162 0 0.000194

    As expected the single thread numbers for the multi-queue scheduler
    are not as good as those of the existing scheduler. However, at 2
    threads it is getting pretty close and from 4 threads up, the
    multi-queue scheduler does better.

    In this multi-queue implementation, the amount of overhead is
    related to the number of processors in the system. Therefore,
    I would expect the numbers to 'be better' for low thread counts
    on systems with lower (<8) processor counts. It would be
    interesting to see if the point at which the multi-queue does
    better stays at aprox CPUs/2 as we change system configurations.
    Hopefully we will have some more extensive benchmark results in
    the not too distant future. Until then, we'll be looking into
    optimizations to help out the multi-queue scheduler at low
    thread counts.

    --
    Mike Kravetz mkravetz@sequent.com
    IBM Linux Technology Center