    SubjectRe: named streams, extended attributes, and posix
    Mo McKinlay wrote:

    > openstream(file, stream, flags)
    >
    > Where 'file' should be an fd (although i'm sure the VFS gods will think of
    > plenty of reasons why this is a bad idea, at which point I'll
    > conventiently change my mind ;). Stream is simply the name of the stream,
    > flags are as with open() (O_RDONLY, et al). openstream() then returns an
    > fd which can be read/written/sendfiled/closed as the programmer wishes.

    I'm not opposed to that, and think it is even a useful idea. Sort of
    like fdopen().

    > Apart from the additional of a new open()-type call, your paper seems to
    > be fairly solid.

    Thanks. I think having the option of the namespace augmentation would be
    useful, in terms of supporting existing filesystems. On NTFS, ":" is not
    a legal filename character anyway. The namespace augmentation suggested
    in the paper would allow filesystems like NTFS to work as they should,
    and all other filesystems to ignore it.

    -M

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.051 / U:62.064 seconds]