    SubjectRe: Is sendfile all that sexy?
    In article <Pine.LNX.4.30.0101171454340.29536-100000@baphomet.bogo.bogus>,
    Ben Mansell <> wrote:
    >On 14 Jan 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >> And no, I don't actually hink that sendfile() is all that hot. It was
    >> _very_ easy to implement, and can be considered a 5-minute hack to give
    >> a feature that fit very well in the MM architecture, and that the Apache
    >> folks had already been using on other architectures.
    >The current sendfile() has the limitation that it can't read data from
    >a socket. Would it be another 5-minute hack to remove this limitation, so
    >you could sendfile between sockets? Now _that_ would be sexy :)

    I don't think that would be all that sexy at all.

    You have to realize, that sendfile() is meant as an optimization, by
    being able to re-use the same buffers that act as the in-kernel page
    cache as buffers for sending data. So you avoid one copy.

    However, for socket->socket, we would not have such an advantage. A
    socket->socket sendfile() would not avoid any copies the way the
    networking is done today. That _may_ change, of course. But it might
    not. And I'd rather tell people using sendfile() that you get EINVAL if
    it isn't able to optimize the transfer..

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.022 / U:0.768 seconds]