SubjectRe: IP defrag (was RE: ipchains blocking port 65535)

On 17-Jan-2001 Andi Kleen wrote:

> Connection tracking always defrags as needed.
> masquerading/NAT/iptables
> with connection tracking uses that.
>
> This means that if any of these are enabled and your machine acts
> as a
> router lots of CPU could get burned in defragmentation, and packets
> will not forwarded until all fragments arrived.

Hmm... ok, what if I'm on a single nic system using ipchains on the
input and want to always defrag before they hit the ipchains
filter, what settings would I need? No masq., no NAT. (bearing in
mind that ipchains differentiates between SYN+frag and noSYN+frag.

> All very nasty, but unfortunately there is no alternative.

Nasty but necessary. Such is life.

-tony

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <gale@syntax.dera.gov.uk>
Isn't it nice that people who prefer Los Angeles to San Francisco live there?
-- Herb Caen

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.040 / U:0.164 seconds]