SubjectRe: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
Dr. Kelsey Hudson wrote :
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Michael Meissner wrote:
> > I'm an end-user, and I have 3 scsi-adapters of two different brands in my
> > system. Many of the people using Linux in high end things like servers,
> > etc. will have multiple scsi controlers. People are using Linux in lots of
> > things from small embedded devices to large systems, and Linux needs to address
> > needs in every area.
>
> see, thats where you and i disagree...I wouldn't call you an end user
> based upon that fact. End users (IMO) are those people who sit back and
> buy a PC and expect it to Just Work(tm). Servers, embedded devices, et al
> (read: high-end applications) do not equate to end-user applications,
> IMNSHO. Besides, *most* (and I say most because I've seen a sharp decline
> in the mentality of Linux users as of late) people who are going to manage
> a high-scale server are going to know what the hell they are doing in the
> first place, so I highly doubt that the end-user argument holds merit
> against this.
>
> Linux, whether you like it or not, is a full-scale UNIX. It takes a good
> (read: talented) system administrator to manage any UNIX properly...A good
> sysadmin reads documentation....Seems clear enough to me. But, then again,
> this is coming from an experienced sysadmin so my opinion *must* be
> biased.

Recently my neighbor ( in no way a high-end user ) called me over,
because his Linux setup wouldn't boot anymore. All he did was to add
( or maybe remove, can remember now ) a partition on his IDE disk.
Linux assigned different device nodes to the partition as it did before
the change, so it couldn't find its root-fs.

The same problem exists with _all_ devices that are assigned in the
"order I found them today" , like audio devices , network devices etc...

BTW, where is the scsihosts= kernel parameter documented ?

--
David Balazic