SubjectRe: APM, ACPI, WOL, Oh My!

Mark Hahn wrote:

> > mode, but the have the option apm=poweroff in my lilo.conf and with the
>
> apm=power-off. I'm looking at modern kernels, of course (2.4+).
> power_off is a valid alternative. at one time, the magic string
> was smp-power-off.

Whoops, I should reread my emails before I hit send; the actual string I
have on my PC is apm=power-off.

> some bioses also need to be returned to real mode before that call;
> modern kernels have a config option for that.

I tried that option, but it didn't matter, smae behavior. I also tried
most if not all of the others like enable apm at boot time etc.

> > If I shutdown in linux using a vender kernel with apm that powers off
> > the machine, it powers off fine and stays off until I hit the power
> > button or I send a wake up packet. If I shutdown and power off using
> > win98, or with the power button, the machine goes off, but will then
> > preceed to reboot with in 3-4 minutes. This is completely repeatable.
> > Turning it off manually during the reboot will not stop this. If I turn
> > it off manually after it turns itself on, it will continue to try and
> > reboot itself every few minutes. they only solution is to let linux
> > boot and perform a shutdown and power off. then it stays off.
>
> so don't use win98 ;)

I rarely do, which is why this problem is not as annoying as it could be
:p

> > AFAIK, WOL is software independant. The only thing I can figure it that
>
> it's certainly not.

It's not? But you can wake your PC remote with a WOL NIC regardless of
the OS. Shutting the PC down again is another issue.

Thanks,

Alex

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.038 / U:0.348 seconds]