    SubjectRe: Is sendfile all that sexy?

    > how would sendpath() construct the Content-Length in the HTTP header?

    You'd still stat() the file to decide whether to use sendpath() to
    send it or not, if it was Last-Modified: etc. Of course, you'd cache
    stat() calls too for a few seconds. The main thing is that you save
    a valuable fd and open() is expensive, even more so than stat().

    > TCP_CORK is useful for FAR more than just sendfile() headers and
    > footers. it's arguably the most correct way to write server code.

    Agreed -- the hard-coded Nagle algorithm makes no sense these days.

    > imnsho if you want to optimise static file serving then it's pretty
    > pointless to continue working in userland. nobody is going to catch up
    > with all the kernel-side implementations in linux, NT, and solaris.

    Hmmm, there's a place for userland httpds that are within a few
    percent of kernel ones (like Zeus is, when I last looked). But I
    agree, hybrid approaches will become more common, although the trend
    towards server-side dynamic pages negate this. A kernel approach is a
    definite win if you're used to using a limited-scalability userland
    httpd like Apache.

    Jonathan Thackray Zeus House, Cowley Road, Cambridge CB4 OZT, UK
    Software Engineer +44 1223 525000, fax +44 1223 525100
    Zeus Technology

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.021 / U:12.616 seconds]