SubjectRe: QUESTION: Network hangs with BP6 and 2.4.x kernels, hardwarerelated?
On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 09:31:15PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Frank de Lange wrote:
>
> > WITH or WITHOUT the changed 8390 driver? I can already give you the
> > results for running WITH the changed driver: it works. I have not yet
> > tried it WITHOUT the changed 8390 driver (so that would be stock 8390,
> > patched apic.c, stock io_apic.c). Please let me know which you want...
>
> WITH. patched 8390.c, patched apic.c, sock io_apic.c. My very strong
> feeling is that this will be a stable combination, and that this is what
> we want as a final solution.

It is. As I already mentioned in other messages, I already tested with JUST the
patched 8390.c driver, no other patches. It was stable. I then patched apic.c
AND io_apic.c, which did not introduce new instabilities. Unless you think that
reverting back to a stock io_apic.c would cause instabilities (which would be
weird, since I had no instabilities running only a patched 8390.c), I think the
patch to 8390.c DOES remove the symptoms all by itself. No other patches seem
necessary to get a stable box.

But I'll patch the mess again just fox kicks :-)

Cheers//Frank
--
## o o\ / Frank de Lange \