    SubjectRe: QUESTION: Network hangs with BP6 and 2.4.x kernels, hardware
    In article <>,
    Frank de Lange <> wrote:
    >As per Linus' suggestion, I removed the disable_irq/enable_irq statements from
    >the 8390 core driver, and replace the spinlocks with irq-safe versions. This
    >seems to solve the network hangs, as I am currently running a heavy network
    >load (which would have killed a non-patched driver within seconds). Network
    >latency seems a bit higher, and there are some hiccups in the streaming audio
    >(part of the network load, easy indicator of performance...), but no hangs.

    Ok, so it's tentatively the IOAPIC disable/enable code. But it could
    obviously be something that just interacts with it, including just a
    timing issue (ie the _real_ bug might just be bad behaviour when
    changing IO-APIC state at the same time as an interrupt happens, and
    disable/enable-irq just happen to be the only things that do it at a
    high enough frequency that you can see the problem).

    Remind me: what polarity are your io-apic irq's? Level, edge, sideways?
    Anything else that might be relevant?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.021 / U:13.800 seconds]