    SubjectENOMEM on socket writes
    Using 2.4, and the prereleases since about early December or so, I
    have been seeing rsync dying with an error "write: unable to allocate
    memory". Rsync is writing on a socket which is set non-blocking and
    the write is apparently returning ENOMEM.

    Is this actually a new behaviour, or just something which was possible
    all along but which has been made more likely by the recent VM

    From the point of view of the application, ENOMEM is a little hard to
    deal with constructively. Select will say that the socket is
    writable, so there doesn't seem to be a good way of waiting until the
    write has a chance of succeeding. About the only thing that I can see
    to do is just to spin trying the write over and over - does anyone
    have a better idea?

    Paul Mackerras, Open Source Research Fellow, Linuxcare, Inc.
    +61 2 6262 8990 tel, +61 2 6262 8991 fax,
    Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.040 / U:60.920 seconds]