SubjectRe: Where did vm_operations_struct->unmap in 2.4.0 go?
Date
On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:32:10 +0000,
David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:
>I'm not suggesting that we change it drastically, only that we add
>the option of static (compile-time) registration for those entries which
>require it.

So you want two services, one static for code that does not do any
initialisation and one dynamic for code that does do initialisation.
Can you imagine the fun when somebody adds startup code to a routine
that was using static registration? Oh dear, I added init code so I
have to remember to change from static to dynamic registration, and
that affects the link order so now I have to tweak the Makefile.
Thanks, but no thanks!

Stick to one method that works for all routines, dynamic registration.
If that imposes the occasional need for a couple of extra calls in some
routines and for people to think about initialisation order right from
the start then so be it, it is a small price to pay for long term
stability and ease of maintenance.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.056 / U:0.576 seconds]